Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

Interesting

It's worth reading the interview to see what he's doing, which does seem to be novel -- inverting the phase of various frequency ranges. The purist in me says ouch, and I don't have time now to read the patent now so I'm still not sure of the details. But there is research that shows that low interaural correlation in reverberation has a positive correlation with subjective sound quality both in the home and in concert halls. I've long wonder too whether the out-of-phase backwave of dipoles didn't help melt the room walls in part because the combing of the reflection occurs at the "wrong" frequencies, and the brain uses combing to help assess the size of an acoustical space. Could it be that the flips in phase confuse the psychoacoustical mechanism that tells us that we're listening in a small room? Not only is some of the delayed sound out of phase, but it's confused in phase, which would make it doubly hard for the brain to make sense of the combing cues.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Interesting - josh358 09:03:19 02/10/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.