Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: Bricasti? What were they thinking?

I think what endowment size gives a university is the ability to build facilities, hire eminent faculty, finance research, have small classes, etc. So it's an indirect metric but a surprisingly powerful one, in that the more richly-endowed universities tend strongly to rank highly on other metrics such as number of citations/faculty.

My personal preference though, if you're going to make these lists, which seem to me a questionable endeavor, is for more direct metrics. And I can think of some highly-endowed universities that don't give their students a very rich experience, e.g., because the senior faculty aren't interested in teaching undergrads. It can also be argued that universities have different missions. A junior college is likely more valuable to the students it serves than Harvard would be, and that value isn't reflected in the number of Nobel laureates it produces, or the average SAT's of its incoming students -- quite the contrary, its mission is to give kids from modest backgrounds and frequently substandard academic preparation a leg up.

Anyway, your original comment was witty. As was DR's.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Bricasti? What were they thinking? - josh358 09:32:12 02/01/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.