Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

I think you don't fully understand

what "setup" entails. The flip side to the cool factor of having access to a wide range of incredible gear found in his three separate environments is the drudgery factor of schlepping all that (heavy) stuff around. Have you ever tried moving Nola Grand Reference woofer towers? Hint: they weigh 400 lbs. How about a Clearaudio Statement turntable? It weighs 800 lbs. His garage is entirely devoted to gear boxes and crates, some of which are empty while others still have product either awaiting return shipment or have just arrived and ready for assessment. I use that term because there are many pieces of gear which are listened to - but never reviewed for a variety of reasons.

HP has always had "setup" guys who take care of this decidedly non-glamorous aspect of reviewing. As to setup from a standpoint of optimizing speaker and listener placement, cartridge loading, room treatments, etc., that is determined by HP along with guidance by a range of trusted ears who provide input. The last time I was there, I met Mike Hobson of Classic Records fame. Sea Cliff really is a fascinating place to visit given the wide range of gear you see not only actively hooked up in one of the systems, but also the other gear that is used for comparisons at any given time.

Several years ago, I had the pleasure of attending a meeting of the Chicago Audio Society where Dr. West introduced the nine foot tall Sound Lab Majestic 945 speakers. There were several of us there who happily assisted him in the arduous task of assembling and positioning those huge speakers.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • I think you don't fully understand - E-Stat 08:12:24 01/13/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.