Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

Let me relate my experience...

...with the DQ-10s.

I had never heard of TAS in 1977 when I was shopping for a new pair of speakers.

I probably listened to 10 different ones in my price range but nothing really impressed me - even with a lot of the stores using "Time" from the DSOM, which was the "in" demo record.

Someone told me about a new speaker, the Ohm (Model A?), which was at a local Federated Store (big box).

So I went there to hear it and was let into their expensive equipment room.

A pair of Dahlquist DQ-10s sitting there had been left playing some Latin percussion music - it was coming from behind and in between the speakers there in space - it sounded like the instruments were right there in front of me. I'd never heard anything like it.

The guy went on to demo the Ohms and while they had a lot of bass, it was the DQ-10s I ended up buying.

Easily one of the 12 most significant loudspeakers of all time and a classic. There is still a lot of interest in them on the used market over 30 years later.

Self-serving, nah - while HP gave them a hand in voicing the speaker in his room, he did the exact same thing with every review he wrote, whether the manufacturer took his advice or not.

Edits: 03/04/11

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.