Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: John Potis passes away

Unfortunately, this is bad news in during what should be a happy time. I first corresponded with John during the course of my audition, and ultimate purchase, of the Gallo Reference 3.1. He was very forthcoming in his opinions and analysis, and proved a valuable resource.

We later exchanged e-mails during the time frame of his posts here at the Asylum of which Ms. Ebaen wrote, following my words of support of him here in response to some postings from Mr. Darby in which I felt Mr. Darby inappropriately personally attacked Mr. Potis. Mr. Potis graciously privately thanked me for his support.

While I think some may have thought that he came on a little strong during that time, his regular private e-mails to me convinced me that his actions were motivated to protect the reputation of the audio writing community and maintain its reputation from others who suggested that there was funny business taking place. In retrospect, I think he was right to do what he did. He saw the issues before I did, and was willing to sacrifice his position for his opinions and defense of the industry. I am not sure what else one can ask for in a writer.

He graciously came to my defense in a squabble with a PFO writer, clearly returning what he considered to be a favor. Although we did not regularly correspond, I shall miss knowing that he is there. As others have written, that he leaves a wife and two children further compounds the loss. We've lost an internet friend and reviewer, they have lost a father and husband.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: John Potis passes away - jamesgarvin 11:03:49 12/23/08 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.