Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

Re: \\\This is an optical illusion and will work on all normal functioning brains///......

Hmmm..."complete BS". I think not. Research based on a controled study using scientific method provides evidence that my assertion is not BS. Without being forewarned or prepped almost every person will see these two lines as equal in length. Its how the brain works together with our senses. Of course there will be people who do not see the illusion and can determine which line is longer and which is shorter. Without a sampling to refer to I can not give a definitive answer. However my best educated guess is that those who do not see the illusion would be 2 standard deviations from the mean. That translates to, if I remember correctly my bell curves, less than 7% of the total population.

In a sense you are correct. It is not an "illusion" that a more expensive system sounds better. It would be a dellusion as expectation, experience and other environmental factors influence perception.

As for 99 liking system A and 1 liking system B. Yes, of course everyone should choose what they like. Still, if 99% of people prefer one system over another there is a reason and that could be relevant to my choice. For instance if I had to choose one of these systems with out listening to them my chances of liking the system would be greater with system A. As much as we might like to think ourselves independent of influences, it is simply not the case. Some people drink pepsi over coke because their friends drink pepsi or drive chevys because dad did. Some people go with the crowd because they find comfort in it and some reject the crowd to stand apart.

Bottom line, systems do sound different and people also hear what they want to hear.

Peace,
HB

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: \\\This is an optical illusion and will work on all normal functioning brains///...... - HamBone77 14:32:03 05/16/07 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.