Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

Re: Hearing polarity changes

For those who think that they hear absolute polarity, they should contemplate the following.

Dan Shanefield, BAS speaker, vol. 17, no. 3 :

"once you see evidence of an additional factor which might really be causing the observed results, you should never ignore it in further studies. Instead, it must be carefully eliminated".

It has been shown (by Shanefield 1995 and Furindle 1976) that introducing distortion into the playback system makes polarity inversion more audible.

This reminds me of people claiming to hear the benefits of supertweeters. Then Kaoru and Shogo demonstrated in their AES aper that this is due to intermodulation distortion.

So if it is possible that audibility inversion is audible because of good ole harmonic distortion, then that parameter should be investigated. But no.....

One answer to that problem is DSP. How many consumer speakers use DSP ?

Fortunately there are mags like Stereophile and Soundstage that provide meaurements. The ideal response curves are known from literature, such as JA's AES paper (available on Stereophile's website). One look at the graphs and you know the value of the speaker. But no....

Klaus

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Topic - Acoustic polarity, again - KlausR. 02:36:41 05/06/07 (113)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.