Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

Re: "In the case of Classical music, polarities become a mixed bag with the advent of heavy multimiking" . . . no.

That's interesting that DDG would apply time correction for their recordings. My understanding is that most companies mixed their recordings down to only a few channels on their masters. It is true on the digitally recorded masters utilizing hard drives, it is possible to preserve the multiple channels of information.
Since you are so familiar with the DDG process, you surely must have access to deeper information about their methodology? I would be very interested as I do not hear such a correction being used by, say, the Ondine (ex Philips) engineers.
I would also suspect that such methodology would not be applicable to the very early DDG recordings where the master tapes were essentially mixed in real time.

You can all it what you want, but I tend to lump most time issues as being phase and/or polarity related. What may be initially a phase issue manifests itself as a polarity issue on playback. The real issue is the timing of the notes which reaches the listener's ear. When they are not consonant to what occurs in real life, they are simply wrong. Call them what you will, but the reality is that when played back on a stereo pair of speakers, the information is confused and does not represent the true tonality and articulation of the instruments (or vocals) being played. Any human does not hear sounds simultaneously from two or more spots up to 50 feet apart

If Decca could get the vast majority of these issues cured with their well known use of the Decca 'Tree' and still have the use of spotlight mikes, I can not see why modern 'engineers' can not do the same. The mike positions in sites like Kingsway Hall were very well documented.

I have yet to see a mixer which offers time adjustment for more than two channels. I see polarity switches on many, but very few real time mixers with digital time delays. I have not kept up with the latest gear, however, and I would welcome information to the contrary.

Stu

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.