Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

Re: \\\The two horizontal lines are the same length, but your brain insists that one is longer///.....

I think the point was that, in very broad non-technical terms, that all brains function in certain ways. This is an optical illusion and will work on all normal functioning brains due to the manner in which our senses gather information and which is then processed by the brain.

I really didn't think it was a very good analogy for this discussion. This illusion is an unconscious process. Rating or judging a musical performance or the musicality of a system is conscious. Therefore expectations, past experiences, bias and a host of other influences impact the subjective listening experience. A better explanation is that if one spends $15,000 on an audio system is just HAS to sound better because, damn it, I spent that much money. In reality that may not be the case.

Other psychological influences may also occur. As an example Freud could make a phallic symbol out of anything and suggest that male are always compensating. Hence, the larger the symbol the greater the compensation. Big cigars, sleek sports cars, huge speakers, the most expensive turntable.....well....they all suggest greater compensation.

How much do I compensate. Hmm....well only my wife will ever know. ;-)

Regards,
HB

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.