Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

Re: On the CD, compared to what there was to record with before ones and zero’s...

Hi Clark

In any technology’s life, there are at first about 10% of the audience will use it, new adopters of technology. Later, on has 80% who will eventually use it and then you have 10% who will never use it.
I think part of what gave CD’s an early bad name was that play back decks were not all essentially the same (transports made by very few co’s), some things in the filters and electronics were very marginal and of course the recordings made to “sell” the CD were intentionally voiced to be brighter and CLEARER or at least remind people of that.
Personally I think the direction they really went was wrong with “how” things are recorded now. It ticks me off that they have so much to work with and do little to “capture” an event which has always been my thing.

I used to record, still do, I still have a pair of Teac 3340’s, a Revox A-77 (now junk) and several others which were not at all shabby in the day.
I have gone back and listened to old tapes plenty of times.
Now, I am not saying ANYTHING about what the recording industry turns out rather that now, with a good sound card or modest MI setup, one can make clearer more natural sounding recordings than one could in the old days with the best home tape decks and new tape.
24/96 is audibly better than 16/44.8 down at low volumes; too bad the CD is set in stone in that regard.

I wouldn’t say I am analogue or digital, either can sound bad or good both have limitations and flaws, I like what works for what I’m doing.

Best,

Tom

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.