Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

StereoMojo - or how not to write an Emag

Looking through the earlier SM thread and then the latest "issue" I can't help but wondering why? As in why does anyone bother? For someone who claims to be so involved im the music world, how can the reports be so....clueless?

1) Can't get the names straight. In the turntable report, the company's name is GOLDMUND, not GOLDMAN! After 20 years of existence you would think "jounalists - I use the term loosely" would get it right.

2) Can't get the numbers straight. The blurb for the Acutis Reference claims that the list is $13 grand. And yet at least 2 other sources (one being TAS) have given the price of the reference as $19K.

3) In the Sason ad - er, I mean review, we are told "The Sason Ltd sell for $7,900 per pair. While that might seem a bit pricey, think for a moment. Their retail price is north of $12,999. If they went to a distributor who added their markup and then on to a retail store that again added markup, you would be looking at a speaker priced easily at $20,000 or more! As you will see, even at $20,000 these speakers would be a bargain, so keep reading." And this coming from someone who claimed to have sold high end audio! Mr. Darby, the retail price IS the price after distribution and markup. So where do these numbers come from?

The review claims "Several different amps – tube and solid state, several different sources from CD players, DACS, universal players, turntables, arms and cartridges were used during the evaluation process. The Sasons made it very easy to hear the differences, even slight, in each of them. A number of different cable brands and types were also inserted – speaker, tone arm and ICs. Again, the Sasons made it easy for anyone – friends, neighbors, family members, to hear the differences. This speakers is a review’s dream." - That's right, trust me, you don't need to know how the speakers really sounded, just understand that I/We heard changes with whatever equipment we threw at it. What equipment Mr. Darby?? What changes did you hear??
What worked well and what didn't? In other words get you nose out of the manufacturer's collective arses and be critical. For crying out loud, the speakers are down 10dB at 30Hz! What is the 3dB point? What size room? What kind of room treatment? Which amps provided the best bass? How were the speakers placed? You did actually listen to them in your room didn't you?

Fire your editor Mr. Darby, he's making a fool out of you.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Topic - StereoMojo - or how not to write an Emag - Bob Rex 10:35:37 05/07/07 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.