Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

Re: "VERY few multi-way speakers do it at all." Lucky us, then! Who have...

Hi Clark

Well some times I am afraid I come off like I have a technical woody about this (time) but maybe I do.
I met Dr Heyser about 20 years ago and he was a remarkable man.
I was lucky to be one of the every early TEF machine users and at an early Servodrive trade show, Don and Carloyn Davis (Synaudcon was highly behind the TEF) walked by the booth and Carolyn said “why don’t you come with us”. So seeing a chance to hang out with them on the trade show floor and avoid the drudgery of booth duty, I was gone.

We eventually ended up going out for dinner at a fancy restaurant where Dr. Patronis, Dr. Heyser and a number of others were. So here I was with Don Davis, Gene Patronis, Richard Heyser and these heavyweights, wow. I said about three words the whole night and that was only when Don threw me a softball about the servodrive woofers..
Dr. Heyser and Dr’s Patronis were both Wizards, each spoke technical things so clearly that at least for that short time, I felt I really understood. Dr. Heyser was one of these guys who really had a calculator in his head. Several times when the discussion got loud I thought the waitress was coming to ask us to leave but she never did.
I went back to the hotel room to try to sleep and felt about as small and humble as one could feel, math makes my mind slow to a crawl, I felt like a bulldozer chasing a butterfly compared to those guys.

I have wished many times he were still around so that I could ask him things, now that I have more understanding but still have questions.
A friend is in charge of the Heyser Library at Columbia College in Chicago, I had a chance to be look at his stuff. It was weird looking at his old test equipment and notes etc.

Also kind of nice is with the new company I have run across some old acquaintances from then.
While Don and Carolyn retired from Synaucon, they still get to some trade shows.
DR. Patronis is retired (prof emeritus Ga tech) and lives near the shop and I have gone shooting with him a couple times while visiting.

http://www.danleysoundlabs.com/forum/photos/show-album.asp?albumid=4&photoid=28

http://www.danleysoundlabs.com/forum/photos/show-album.asp?albumid=4&photoid=41

Sorry for rambling but time and what is wrong with loudspeakers is “an interest” of mine.
Best,

Tom Danley

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.