Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

Re: If Mr. Atkinson won't, I will

"But to slime them with innuendo and false accusations like you have done is inexcusable. You have completely misinterpreted a remark that Wes made off the cuff."

I never slimed them with "innuendo." See above. And I did not misinterpret anything - I merely gave words their ordinary meaning. Further, taking time to read a post, write a response, and presumably reviewing that response, is hardly "off the cuff." Particularly if you are a writer.

"Stereophile is not perfect. Nor is any other magazine, audio related or not."

No kidding. But neither JA or Wes Philips has alleged that Wes did not mean what he wrote, or meant something else. I doubt either you or I are qualified to look beyond the "four corners" of his writings.

"There are a million and one legitimate reasons why a review might be canceled (or postponed) after it was planned. You keep implying that the reasons are nefarious and that Stereophile is hiding something that should be exposed"

And there are a million illegitimate reasons why a review might be canceled, which may have nothing to do with the magazine. Do I, as a reader and consumer, have a right to know this? If the reason is legitimate, then what is the harm in telling me what the reason is, as opposed to that it merely did not happen.

If one of your products garnered a good quote from a reviewer, at which time you promised a review sample to that reviewer, afterwhich the reviewer publically informed a reader that a review was forthcoming, would you then tell the reviewer that, sorry, no samples? If a manufacturer did that, do we, the reader and consumer, have a right to know this happened? If the process is transparent?

Did Gallo do this? I do not know. What I do know is that Wes appears to be a person who would not tell a reader he will do something unless he had authorization to do it, and he told a reader that he would review the speakers. I know that Gallo never forwarded a pair for review. That fact alone does not tell us very much.

As you write, there many legitimate reasons why a review does not happen. There are also illegitimate reasons why a review does not happen. The mere statement that Gallo never sent a sample, even though true, does not tell us, the reader and consumer, anything. I am not sure how Stereophile did anything wrong, assuming these facts, and I never intended to imply that it did.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.