Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

Re: Give it a rest, Mr. Garvin

"By ignoring my explanations and continuing to insist that there was
something fishy going on, you appear to be calling me a liar, Mr.
Garvin, something that doesn't sit well with me."

I never ignored your explanation. But you confuse a cursory statement with an explanation. You do not dispute that Wes wrote what he wrote, nor do you dispute that my interpretation of what he wrote is not a reasonable interpretation. I also note that at least one other reader on the Stereophile forum was under the same impression, so the implied characterization that my interpretation is somehow novel or unique is factually incorrect.

This is the first time that you have written that Wes Philip's review queue includes product he does not have on hand, and apparently does not include product for which he has any real commitment to review from the manufacturer. Perhaps if you had been more specific in your past writings in providing an explanation, as opposed to a simple cursory statement that "Wes never had a review pair", this issue would be laid to rest. Perhaps what Wes Philips meant was that he would try to review them, that he was trying to procure a review samlpe, but that is not what he wrote, which is hardly my fault. When someone writes or tells me they will do something, I generally assume they will do it. Not that they might do it. Not that they cannot do it. Your cursory "explanation" that Wes never had the product, in light of his relatively clear and unambiguous writings, was inadequate.

Wes said he was going to do something that he was apparently not capable of doing. I am not suggesting that he did so intentionally, but unless Mr. Philips is want to make representations that he cannot fulfill, I must presume that somebody led him to believe he would be able to fulfill his representation, which he made publically. I presume that he does not publish a representation unless he has, or believes he has, the means to fulfill the representation. I do not know about you, but I do not make representations that I will do something unless I know I will do it.

That does not sit well with me. Does it with you?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.