Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

Re: Well, let's look at the timeline....

"As I have told you before, Mr. Garvin, Wes never did receive a pair
of Reference 3.1s for review in Stereophile."

"No mystery, as he never had the speakers. As I have now told you
several times."

I admit that I had a sneaky feeling you would enter an appearance. First, feel free to call me Jim or James. No need to be formal. Here goes. Wes Philips says that he invites the Gallos home after the 2006 CES. Seems pretty clear to me. Then, in the Stereophile forum, Wes Philips, on May 6, 2006, in response to Florian Otel querying him on when the review would appear (he seemed to also be under the impression that when Wes Philips invites a product to his house, it accepts the invitation), writes that:

"Yes, I'll be taking a look at the Gallo Ref 3s as soon as I clear some previous commitments off the deck. Of course, if JA commissioned more than one review a month from me and stiffed all those other reviewers, I might get there faster.

But, given my inability to catch up with the the audio that's fit to print, maybe not. But the Ref 3s are in my "soon" queue."

Now, seems to me like they are at his humble abode. Or at least he thought they were. Wes Philips did not write that he would "try" to take a look at them soon. He did not write that the magazine was attempting to secure a pair for review. He did not write that he was attempting to get them into the queue. Did he make a mistake? Were they really not at his home, but he thought they were? Does his review queue include product not actually in his home?

Now, I know that you have written that Wes Philips did not take a pair of review samples, and that may be AN answer, and had Mr. Philips himself not stated that he had a pair in his review queue, it may actually be THE answer. The mystery to which I refer is why the reviewer is writing they are in his queue, and that he will be taking a look at them, and then the editor is writing that he never had them.

Who made the mistake? If you reply that Wes Philips made a mistake, that he thought he had a review pair, and was wrong, and that, in fact, he never had a pair at his home, it was all a figment of his imagination, then I guess there is nothing left to write. I presume you will respond. Please tell me why Wes Philips is writing that he has a product in his queue, that he WILL be taking a look at them, in light of the fact that there is nothing to take a look at, and if there is no review forthcoming. Or was "taking a look at them" meant to be literal.

You must admit that your explanation that he never had them for review and his affirmation that they were in his review queue are wholly inconsistent. Unless you think that I am currently in the queue to ride up the Eiffel tower, as I sit and type this in Ohio. Oops, gotta go, the elevator is here.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.