Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

In a nutshell

I select products that I focus on based on my own personal "wow" factor coupled with identifying known customers who are likely to have a strong interest in them. Just in case, I have access to a number of lines that I don't emphasize.

I select items based on personal experience, like at shows. How I get to that personal experience is either through recommendations from a handful of trusted "advisors", customer inquiries about something new and some reviews.

Other issues come into play as well. Minimum stocking levels, minimum order quantities and payment terms all play a role. I fund all of my activities out of my own pocket, and that keeps things under control by default. Dealers like Sound by Singer have flooring relationships with finance companies where they pay interest charges only on items they have in stock. Dealers like that have a store front to deal with. I don't. Dealers like that have to be ready to deal with whoever walks through the door. Most of my customers are effectively clients, and I have an opportunity to work more closely with them to identify solutions and handle installations.

Let's focus on shows for a minute, since your broader question is about the high end market overall. I have never heard a component or speakers that are truly high end that I would say sucked. Sure, I've heard speakers that were in desperate need of some hours on them, but I can usually hear past that. Not all products appeal to me, and if I am not absolutely sold on something I think I would have a hard time selling it to someone else. Read that to mean that if you are looking for horns, single driver speakers or any kind of gimmicky product, you'd be happier with another dealer.

Reviewers cannot do what I do. They have to appeal to a broad range of readers and have the ability to address where a given item might be best suited, and areas where they are not. Some of them are in a position to request certain products for review, and get what they want, while others review whatever they are assigned. Some manufacturers don't send product out for review. Going back to the $99 Insignia receiver, yeah, someone saw fit to bring that product to market and I am sure they sold a bundle of them. That doesn't mean the manufacturer would submit that item to Sterephile (or even Sound & Vision(!)) for review. They might be willing to sell someone a piece of crap product for a next to nothing price, but they certainly don't think it can compete in the high end arena.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • In a nutshell - Bruce Kendall 11:17:04 04/30/07 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.