Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

Well, let's look at the timeline....

The point of my post was not whether you "trust" one reviewing source or another, or which writes the most trustworthy review of the Gallo reference. The point of my post was the online web-zines are becoming more relevant in the marketplace, and their relevance will only grow. I used the Gallo as an example of a product that the webzines covered, then the print magazines followed suit. I have no doubt that the glowing reviews Gallo received in the webzines caused the print magazines to take notice.

6moons' first review of the Gallo Reference is in April, 2004, TAS in October, 2004, Positive Feedback in November/December, 2004. Home Theater Magazine in December, 2004. Bound for Sound in April, 2005. All positive reviews. The point, however, is that the webzines were the first on the scene. I used the Yamamota amplifier of another example where Art Dudley actually acknowledged the importance of the webzines in bringing the product to the attention of the audiophile community.

And let's not forget that Positive Feedback was a print magazine at one time, that Wes Philips, Arnis Balgalvis, Jon Sunier, Chip Stern, Ken Micallef, Stephen Harrell, I believe Myles Astor, Steve Rochlin, Dick Olsher, Alvin Gold, Steve Guttenberg, and I believe John Gatski, have all written, or write, reviews for print magazines. Did you trust their reviews when they appeared in your mailbox, then stop trusting their review when they were exclusively in cyberspace?

I suspect the chasm is closing between print and webzines. We cannot debate whether you prefer one to the other, but I think that the webzines influence is catching up to print, at least in terms of marketplace relevance, is not in dispute.

And since you brought up the Stereophile/Gallo issue, I am not sure the complete facts will ever come to light. According to Wes Philips, he was impressed enough with the Reference 3.1 at the January, 2006 CES to take a pair home for review. It would therefore appear that Anthony Gallo had no problems with Stereophile reviewing his pride and joy, at least at that point in time. What happened AFTER Wes Philips took them home for review is, in my opinion, still a mystery. Perhaps Gallo reconsidered, but thus far there has not been any answer to indicate that he did. And if he did, would not you think that we are entitled to know?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.