Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

Re: Kudos to Sound Stage!

I haven't heard the speakers but I would expect from the NRC measurements that they would sound well balanced an neutral. Some respected researchers have found a strong correlation between speaker measurements and listener preferences (that's subjective listening, Ozzy) under controlled double blind conditions. A number of very well respected speaker manufacturers use that kind of research to help design their speakers. The Soundstage reviewer, Doug Schneider, thinks they sound great and you can read about his impressions in his review, if you wish, and you could even write him.

Now, I have never understood this passion for wanting someone to tell you "how they sound." Can't you determine that for yourself? I certainly don't need someone (reviewers included) to tell me how they sound, and anyway, someone else's taste may not be the same as mine. I can do any listening for myself, and I do.

The NRC measurements, on the other hand, are quite objective for what they are. If you have some experience with them, they can tell you a lot about what to expect from a speaker--and some Canadian magazines used to use them for decades. Neither I nor anyone else can listen to all the speakers available, not even the likely ones, so whether you like it or not, many are screened out. I primarily use reviewer measurements as a screening tool, and there are lots of speakers that don't go on my audition list because of the measurements. When I do come across those not measuring well, they always turn out to be something I wouldn't want. One of my points was that the distortion measurements of the YG speaker would not cause me concern.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Kudos to Sound Stage! - Pat D 08:24:20 04/29/07 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.