Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

Re: Stereophile Poll

don't mean to hijack this thread, but it got me thinking..if you couple that poll with the recent RIAA stats for 2006 :::

1) CD sales down 13% vs 2005
2) SACD+DVD-A+LP sales down 54% 2005 vs 2006..2004 vs 2005 was down 27%
3)digital singles downloads up 60%..
4)digital album downloads up 103%
5)downloads to mobile phones up 84% ( in dollars that comes to $775m in mobile phone download sales vs $22m for SACD+DVD-A+Vinyl LP+Cassette )

::: AND, as an aside :::

(1) Good Guys, a 75 store West Coast CE chain goes belly up two yrs ago

(2) Ultimate, a 50 store CE chain based in Denver can't seem to get back on track

3) Radio Shack is in deep doo-doo

(4) Circuit City lays off 3400 employees ( 3400!!!! )

(5) Harvey, a mid-fi institution for about 50 years is having a tough time staying afloat..

(6) About half of the strong regional mid-fi chains around the country are purchased by Tweeter across the last 10 years; only to result in Tweeter being about half the size they were 3 years ago....

(7) But... Best Buy is growing by leaps and bounds while forming strong international alliances. They're starting to look like a retail juggernaught with a bulletproof business plan.

While this post may have a all-over-the-place doom-'n-gloom tone to it, I'm not really trying to sound overly negative or confusing. What we're witnessing is a trend that's been predicted for years and it is finally having an impact on the street. What do you guys see happening as this trend evolves? Right now it looks like low-end retail and high-end custom installation is healthy while mid-fi retail is suffering.

what does it all meam? Inquiring minds........ ;>)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.