Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

Ethics...

>What would you think of a review, when the Manufacturer, by what has been said here... sold a component "to be reviewed" for pennies on the dollar... if you could get a $20,000.00 amp for only $2,000.00, but couldn't sell it for anymore than $2,000.00... for me, this negates any credibility of the review...>

I agree, but I'm not aware of a situation like the one you describe.

Equipment is available to any reviewer, member of the audio press, manufacturer, retailer, distributor and anyone else in the 'audio industry' from any/every manufacturer at *industry accommodation pricing* - usually dealer cost.

If a manufacturer sells a piece under review for "pennies on the dollar", it is unethical for both the seller and the buyer.

If the manufacturer offers a 'longer loan', that seems to be an industry practice these days.

>I don't think reviewers should get any equipment that they review, unless they are paying the same prices that the consumer is paying.>

Sorry, I don't agree. It is one of the few perks that reviewers get to help subsidize their need for current reference equipment to work with.

And I agree with your post below that reviewers should own their reference system.

But, to do reviews right, you need additional components, speakers and wires - because listening to a component in only ONE system isn't enough. That's where the longer loans come in handy when you need 3 amps or several pair of speakers to use in your reviewing.

>You need to put all the manufacturers on the same level playing field...>

Uh, they are now.

>look at all the reviews and publicity that Mobile Fidelity gets with "certain reviewers"... how can the smaller, companies compete for reviews if that is allowed?>

If you're talking about their CDs (they also make speakers), the audiophile CD manufacturers, including Mobile Fidelity, Chesky, etc. are very generous about giving their CDs away to reviewers (music and equipment) in hopes of getting them mentioned in a review.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Ethics... - mkuller 17:06:20 04/17/07 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.