Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

Charles Hanson and the MX-Rs

I wasn't sure where to post this, but here goes. Ayre's MX-R amps were reviewed in the April 2007 issue of Stereophile. I just wanted to highlight a quote from Charles Hanson, in which he is discussing "beliefs that approach religious faith":

"Just because I believe something doesn't make it true, and designing the MX-R taught me some lessons"

Think about that. Here's a long time, well-respected designer allowing his recent experience to challenge his 'near religious' beliefs, and then abandoning those beliefs (in certain instances) where an alternative is proven better. All I can say is, amen and hallelujah, brother Hanson. I wish there were more in the audio world that would follow in your footsteps.

As a side note, and completely unrelated to this review in any way, I have recently ordered a pair of MX-Rs. This was after hearing them in a couple of extended listening sessions driving my Sound Labs. I used tube gear for many, many years, and most recently have had Parasound's excellent JC-1s, but...the MX-Rs take things to an entirely new plane. Review on Audio Asylum to follow in a couple of months after I get their full measure. Now...can the new preamp coming out later this year displace my Blowtorch???

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Topic - Charles Hanson and the MX-Rs - Mike Currie 16:14:23 04/07/07 (46)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.