Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

Re: sure John

“But, ask yourself: how many people are there out there who have even heard a clarinet live, or a trumpet or a trombone?
A depressingly small number, I'm afraid.”

I’m quite sure you’re right, Bruce. But there should always be something that even a novice can identify as something they can relate to. A stable and crystal clear voice is something most people haven’t heard from a system, for example.

But getting back to your clarinet example, I guess it gets its start with the fact that there’s so little accessible live music in so many parts of the country. I’m convinced that to hear a good symphonic performance is to gain instant respect for classical music. People make fun of Operatic divas, but to hear an opera live is to instantly gain respect for what those people can do—-it’s amazing! Some things just don’t easily translate to the home listening environment. I believe you have to have the experience live before you can even imagine transplanting that experience to the context of the listening room.

Best,
JP

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: sure John - john.potis@comcast.net 11:22:27 04/25/07 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.