Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

Home Investments....

"While I think that organizations like PARA and the CEA have done a lot of good for our industry, they've done a terrible job of creating demand for high end audio and video in the average home. Why is it that people won't think twice about spending tens of thousands of dollars on Jacuzzis, raised hearth firplaces, granite top kitchen and bathroom counters, Viking stoves, and Bosch appliances, but as soon as you mention a $30,000 theater or $15,000 listening room they absolutely cringe?"

Well, let's think about that for a minute. All of the items you mention bring added value into the sale of a home. So they become investments with a financial return. You might get away with calling a home theater an "investment", esp. if it's outfitted like the rooms shown on "this Old House" and "Hometime" like shows. Problem is, none of these rooms are actually set up for sound. Listening rooms and WAF or even decorator's sensibilities typically don't co-exist. Just pulling the speakers into the room gets most people to throw a fit. How do you think they'd handle room treatments, equipment racks, and big cables across the floor?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.