Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

Re: sure John / and Bruce

agree strongly with both of you re: Lack of EXPOSURE to high quality and high performance audio being a problem. Some years back I attended an HE show in San Francisco at the Westin on Union Sq. I dropped in on my old friend Michael Kelly from Aerial to see his room packed with an entourage of folks from Texas Instruments. Sitting front row center was a middle aged exec in a suit who was there to check out the high-end AV business. TI had invented the DLP chip just a few years previous, and wanted to witness first hand what high end AV was all about.

The demo blew him away. He said "If more people knew this level of performance was available in the home everybody would want it..Price would not be an obstacle"

While I think that organizations like PARA and the CEA have done a lot of good for our industry, they've done a terrible job of creating demand for high end audio and video in the average home. Why is it that people won't think twice about spending tens of thousands of dollars on Jacuzzis, raised hearth firplaces, granite top kitchen and bathroom counters, Viking stoves, and Bosch appliances, but as soon as you mention a $30,000 theater or $15,000 listening room they absolutely cringe?

The industry statistics I mentioned are sobering. Is there a link between the demise of traditional audio retail and the shift in music purchases to downloads? I think so.. The major growth in audio is through a retail channel that has nothing to do with the high-end . Where will the new customers come from?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.