Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

Re: Tweeter, Circuit City, Best Buy

All of them got clobbered last Christmas by Wal-Mart's decision to very deeply discount flat-screen TVs. That and heavy ramp-up of flat screen production really killed the previously fat margins on these products that kept all of these stores happy.

It's been some time since any of these outfits made serious money selling two-channel stereo.

The recorded music market seems to be moving in two directions: the price of disposable music is collapsing with the advent of Internet distribution (as opposed to physical distribution) and the revival of the "single" (which, in fact, was how such music was sold prior to, say, about 1967). People are consuming this music with cheap players, as they always have . . . just take a look at the typical "department store" stereo of the 1960s, or record player of the 1960s or 1950s.

On the other hand, growth serious music listening (i.e. where you listen with more or less undivided attention) probably is stagnant. It competes with other forms of entertainment for people's time. But, I think the decline in recorded media sales represnets mostly a shift of the "disposable music" market away from fixed media.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.