Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

Yes, good question

Only one person who went to the clinic suggested we cherry picked amps. The reality is that the SS amp is mine and I live in VA and the tube amp is Bob's and he lives in NJ. The first time we did this clinic, we did not actually put the amps side-by-side until we were in the clinic room. We were set up to go either way: "see how hard it is" or, "see how easy it is". We got lucky and the answer is, IMHO, reasonaby hard.

The SS is a POA-2400, a pretty nice amp from Denon. The tube amp is a KT88 rebuilt by Bob using good parts. These are the amps we own. If someone wants to make a proposal and get the equip to us, I am all ears.

This brings up a higher question. Should we be using amps with known colorations or not? These two amps are typical designs and make for a good comparison. There are a lot of similar KT88 designs out there and the Denon is no Halcro, Krell or Boulder, but is similar to many SS amps most of us normal people use.

If we had a whole room for just this clinic and people wanted to hang with us all day, we could go deeper and find the point of group audibility: If we lower the wattage on the SS side, at what power point will we hear a significant difference in the SS amp? If we lower the wattage on the tube side, at one point will we hear a significant difference? What if we moved to a SET amp? How low in watts can we go with a SET? This would take time and lots of amps.

The purpose of this comparison is not to clarify the line between the SS and tube amps, but to allow listeners the opportunity to hear a matched comparison for themselves and discuss what they hear.

Hope this helps.

P

My speaker building site

speaker icon

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.