Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

Re: A question for all of the audio journalists among us - exposes??

FWIW, I totally agree with you. The SACD 1000 has pretty close to a 100% failure rate. I consider it pretty embarrassing that both Stereophile and TAS recommended it. I know at least one Stereophile writer had a SACD 1000 that broke. I seem to remember a passing reference to its 'reliability issues' in Stereophile a while back, but I can't recall for sure. Sure, Stereophile can't be expected to keep track of the reliability of every component, but the SACD 1000 is an example of a player that was recommended, sold in the thousands, and turned out to be a total and complete lemon. I really do think they should have published something about it, given the extremity of the situation, and I have a hard time believing Stereophile writers didn't hear about the problems - I know they were well covered on AA. But then you can put me down as a bitter former SACD 1000 owner (I did get my money back).

This seems like the least the magazines could do: the next time a writer alludes to the failure of SACD to catch on, they might mention that the unreliability of the SACD 1000 probably turned off hundreds of potential buyers (myself included) to the format.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: A question for all of the audio journalists among us - exposes?? - Will shade 13:12:59 03/29/07 (2)

You can not post to an archived thread.