Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

Sorry for your problems

Hi-

I had a review sample of that Philips player for about three months and it never showed any problem.

I don't think for a minute that any journalists are trying to cover anything up re: reliability. Mostly, we only hear about stuff through the grapevine well after the fact. I had assumed that Philips just found out its brand name would not support an expensive player, and cut it out, and at that time, Tweeter was the only vendor with ready cash to clear them out. I only learned later about reliability problems.

I heard about two Marantz SA-8260 failures, both promptly fixed and no problems since. I have no idea how many SA-8260s they sold here, it must have been hundreds, perhaps thousands. So, once you have two pieces of anecdotal evidence and nothing else, what do you do with that?

That being said, I also think that the high-end audio industry is much more tolerant of "teething troubles" than is the CEDIA custom-install sector. If a high-end audio piece fails, most audio hobbyists can unplug it and bring it in to the shop. Whereas a service call with one or two guys in a van to swap out a custom-installed piece is about $180-250 internal costs each visit. If a failed unit costs a CEDIA business owner $500 out of pocket, he wants answers, or he will find a new vendor.

Hope this helps.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.