Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

Re: Here's the problem...

Folks, the following relates to questions SF has raised about my honesty and integrity (I'm only a troll, in his opinion), not the substance of this discussion string. I this doens't interest you, don't waste your time following it. ---

SF, your note stated, first including excerpts from my previous note:

"My intent was to point out some of the underlying differences and suggest characteristics that might be expected in a user-friendly audio publication primarily devoted to helping and empowering its readers"

SF stated:
But that's not what your ORIGINAL post articulated... in fact, the bulk of your original post comes off as a rant primarily aimed at Stereophile. Here are some excerpts from your post:

"Changes might include some or all of the following, relating generally to SF"
-----------------------------------

Actually, here's what the first paragraph of my ORIGINAL post stated:

"Although I wouldn't want an audio review periodical published by the CR staff, a truly consumer-oriented audio publication would, in my view take a very different approach. Changes might include some or all of the following, relating generally to SF, of which I am a long-term subscriber:"

Since, as stated, I am a long-term subsriber to SF, and since Sf is the audio mag with the largest circulation, it's logical that my comments would relate primarily to SF. - My comments described my thoughts about the characteristics of a truly consumer/reader/subscriber-centered periodical (in contrast to one primarily concerned with circulation and advertising revenue), and it was logical that I explain the suggested changes with respect to SF, since that's the audio publication with the most publication, that most on this group are familiar with. (How in the world could I explain the characteristics of a consumer-oriented magazine without contrasting it with Stereophile?

SF stated:
"I have not said that you're being dishonest,.."

You did the same thing, and you imputed my motives. - You stated that my purpose for posting this note was that I was trolling for the purpose of getting JA's reaction. - That was not my purpose.

SF stated:
"...and I am not challenging your right to post in this forum. But I do question your motives. If it were known to you that some other editor from some other audio magazine posted here regularly... would you then direct your criticism at that other mag? In other words, your posts in this topic (which you started) seem like they are formulated to get a response from JA,"

In your opinion, of course....If other editors posted here reularly, I would not hesitate to criticise their publications.

SF then stated:
NOT like a productive discussion at all. If you read Stereophile regularly, then you would know that it is not a publication that uses DBT in its reviews. Knowing this, you toss out completely unfounded claims like:

" I think that most readers would like to see at least some reports of blind testing IN SOME FORM..."

Where do you get this information? "

Where did I get the information? I got it from reading hundreds of notes from audiophiles posted on this and other audio discussion groups over the years. And also, from reading responses to my note posted on THIS discussion THIS week. (Did YOU read them, by the way, SF?

"Your biases seem to outshine any constructive influence your post might have had."

As do yours....But we all have our own biases and opinions. - Why are you so intent of putting mine down? Why are you so particularly disturbed by my comments? In other words, it's not enough for you to call me a troll, you want me to go away, to get off the discussion group altogether! Could it possibly be because my note introduced some points and observations that you hadn't previously encountered?

Jim

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.