Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

Re: The Inquisition Continues

John
I have been a Sterophile subscriber for almost 15 years (I also subscribe to other publications and read all of the online pubs)

I remember some of you blind tests. I believe some were with a panel that all listened together and then each was assigned a speaker to report on sighted.

Wasn't the panel test skewed by only one person being able to sit in the right spot? (I understand doing other wise would be a hassle)

Were the levels matched precisely system to system?

Personally I would prefer a compromise of some sort. Logistically doing blind tests for everything can be a nightmare and would slow down the process. As such it's really not practical. Having said that I would like to see some way of blind testing speakers to see if the responses to the sighted reviews hold true. Maybe a sampling once a year? The reason I suggest this is cost. I would like to hear a reviewer critique speakers based on several common parameters and then suggest what price range they feel that quality of sound could substaniate. Of all the arguements the ABX people make I think the one regarding cost is the most relevant. I think one expects certain capabilities when they know how much something costs. I think it's human nature to want to be able to give a favorable review of someone else's life's work - especially when they are extremely expensive to desin and manufacture. (I experiance the same thing when i buy something or try a tweek. You find yourself wanting to support your own decision). As such I think - especially with speakers- a yearly calibration would be of some use. (Given the decline of high end audio it is virtually impossible for the average person to listen to even a fraction of what is available or recommended. As such - while your recommend people listen on their own and don't buy based on your reviews - it is often practical to do just that - as there is really no other choice. I bought Triangle speakers based on Sam review and the fact that I own tubes. When I did this there was no one within 250 miles that was selling them)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.