Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

Re: Not surprising...

In Reply to: Re: Characteristics of consumer-oriented audio publications posted by John Atkinson on March 21, 2007 at 04:23:25:
>...they were unpopular with the magazine's readership.>
The pro-DBTers are a very tiny but vocal minority of audiophiles.

Please don't categorize me among the DBTers who favor "quick-switch" ABX machines. - I favor blind testing in general, (in ADDITION to conventional reviews), and I would favor letting the SF staff determine what procedure to follow.

And then there are the people who hear about DBTs and think it's a great idea but don't really understand about the rigorous methodology, the statistics involved and the expense to do it right.
And then once you're done, you've shown that differences between a tubed amp and a solid state amp can be identified blind.
Yawn.

Yes, some people find, after extended listening, that they prefer the distortion inherent in "tube sound" despite the fact that such distortion might have caused them to downgrade a tubeed component when listening to it in a blind comparison. Nothing wrong with that, but what's new? - Yawn.

"I think most people just want to be entertained reading about audio equipment."

You're certainly welcome to your opinions, of course. Some of us want to listen to good music on the best equipment available within a rational budget. And we are sometime helped toward that goal by reading equipment reviews in SF and elsewhere. (SF has noted that the equipment reviews continue to be the most popular articles.)

Jim

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.