Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

Understanding the reviewer

"I find that many reviews consist of multiple pages of personal "meanderings", seeming attempts to write a novella or other literary work, expressions of personal philosophical views on various subjects, etc. This requires the reader to wade through several pages before he or she gets the gist of the report."

I like these meanderings, since they tell me what the reviewer thinks, and what frame of mind he/she is in, and what particular philosophy they are bringing to bear when revieweing a component. Unlike reviewing one mixer/grinder with another, where differences are crude and can be objectively measured, high end audio is a very subjective business, and reading a subjective review without understanding the reviewer may not tell us very much. Consumer Report style, matter-of-fact reviews are useful for products where criteria are more objective and in a sense, more clear cut. THis is true for most consumer items. But not for the more subjective items, of which high end audio is a prime example. Another is wine/whiskey tasting...i really would like to understand where the reviewer is coming from when I read a subjective evaluation.

Appena i miei pensieri, speranza che aiutano.
Amante.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.