Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

Have you updated?

So far David shows no bold-face components in your list, indicating no current loaners. Maybe you haven't yet provided him an update.

CJ Art 2, Burmeister 011
Ayre V-5xe, Audiopax 88's
MF kW, Art Audio Vinyl Reference
Cary 306, Classe 202
Harbeth HL-5, Avant Garde Uno

I've tried to exaggerate for purpose of discussion, but isn't it obvious that such a list of assoc. equip. that doesn't distinguish what you bought from what's on loan won't even tell me if you prefer tubes over solid state, horns over dynamic? Hey, maybe you own 'em all and like the different sound perspectives.

Within each category and price range there are a wide variety of choices. There are a variety of choices within Tubes/SS too. A Cary 98 is certainly a different sounding choice than an Aesthetix Calypso. A Krell sounds different than an Ayre etc. The more hifi products a particular reader has heard the better he/she will be able to judge your preferences relative to their own. I make no claims to be a highly informed expert, but I've heard a fair number of components. Something I read in your column -- if I think our tastes are similar -- may spur me to go hear a product I'm not familiar with. If I think your taste is very different than mine I probably won't bother.

BTW, Spiro, it ain't my job to impress you with my hifi insights. That's your unpaid-except-for-discounts-job. Happily your editor sees the sense in a list that distinguishes owned from loaned, even you don't.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.