Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

Clement Perry of Stereo Times is abusing influence

Dear inmates,

It has been a while since I last wrote in the forum. It is good to see many familiar names, and lots of new ones!

I am writing because I have received the following e-mail from Clement Perry, publisher of Stereo Times, after deciding not to advertise in his magazine (the messages are very long so I am just quoting the main paragraph in each. However, I will happily e-mail any of you the full transcript if you are interested):

"You claim to have the worlds most accurate loudspeaker. I hope for your sake you do because you certainly don't have the worlds best business approach at supporting such claims."

"I guess I'll be sure to make it my business to see you at the upcoming events like Munich and CES. Nothing like having a competing publication's head publisher that 'adores' your company."

After receiving this not-so-hidden threat to give my company negative coverage due to our decision not to advertise with Stereo Times, I spoke with Clement Perry over the phone. He made it clear during the conversation that he considered my decision not to advertise a slap in his face, and that I had managed to get on his nerves in a way that will damage my business.I have made it clear that my company cannot be blackmailed for advertising money.

The background for this story is even more outrageous - last year I invited Clement Perry to fly over to our factory for a sneak-peak at the then-prototype Kipod loudspeaker. We agreed on all of the details, I bought non-refundable plane tickets, and then he canceled on the day of the trip, because I would not pay for his wife's ticket as well (which he had originally agreed to)!

All I can say is that my company does business all over the world and deals with a large number of professional press members, but I have never been treated so rudely by anyone, and definitely never been blackmailed by anyone else. Most journalists I deal with are true professionals. Too bad not everyone in the industry is...

I am sorry to "return to activity" in the forum with such a negative message, but I just felt that not exposing this would be missing the whole point of this forum.

Best,

Yoav Geva (Gonczarowski)
YG Acoustics

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Topic - Clement Perry of Stereo Times is abusing influence - Yoav 23:26:53 03/08/07 (20)

You can not post to an archived thread.