Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

Re: Correct, although

I would tend to phrase it as "a compression at the microphone diaphragm results in a compression at the ear." Speakers and their crossovers can make this a jumble, so considering only one driver is iffy.

Well yeah, but still, to get compression at the ear, the lousdpeaker cone or diaprhagm must be moving outward. And the question at hand concerned the ideal and which direction the lousspeaker cone or diaphragm must be moving relative to the microphone diaphragm.

At least that's what MF seemed to be talking about. I wasn't entirely sure so thought I'd ask here.

One runs the risk, when reducing the polarity issue to those terms, of inspiring the over-thinkers among us to begin conducting thought experiments with respect to drum heads or harp strings--a soundmind favorite--whereby so many are led astray.

Wasn't intending to reduce the whole polarity issue to those terms. Was just looking at it in a simplified, ideal sense is all.

Much simpler to simply say, "Play it the way it sounds best," assuming your system lets you hear it.

Won't argue with that. :)

BTW, I've never even heard of the two channels of an LP being out-of-phase with each other. I find the inclusion of the switch to solve that "problem" a hoot. Is that for real, or did Mikey goof?

I don't think MF goofed. He seemed to be getting the dope straight from the designer.

Meanwhile, I hear polarity on nearly all recordings, not just simply-miked ones.

You have my sympathies. :)

se

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Correct, although - Steve Eddy 09:45:11 03/03/07 (1)

You can not post to an archived thread.