Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

Reverse polarity problem?

Finally got my March Stereophile yesterday. I always seem to be among the last to get it, which I guess is sort of fitting in a way seeing as Sacramento was the last stop of the Pony Express. :)

Anyway, in Michael Fremer's piece on the Blue Amp Model 42 phono preamp, he mentions that the Model 42 has a switch that reverses the polarity of just one channel, the designer having been told that LPs often were made with one channel's polarity reversed.

He mentions that he can't think of a single LP that has this problem, and then goes on to say "Reverse polarity is sometimes a problem on simply miked recordings, wherein the speaker pushes out when the microphone diaphragms are pushed inward."

Is this not as it should be (if one is wanting to preserve absolute polarity) or is he saying something other than what he seems (to me) to be saying?

In other words, shouldn't the movement of the speaker's cone or diaphragm be the opposite of the movement of the microphone's diaphragm?

se

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Topic - Reverse polarity problem? - Steve Eddy 09:06:49 03/02/07 (7)

You can not post to an archived thread.