Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

If I had to confine myself to writing equipment reviews, I doubt I'd do much of that

Good question.

And, you are right about the potential for annoyance.

I love writing the column, though, because I can do whatever I want, as long as it interests JA. My last column covered a cool development in Baroque musicology, a book, a DVD, and a few choral or vocal CDs. No equipment review as such.

Next column will be a corker--opening up the can of worms of "Musical Cultural Literacy." My friend Bob Saglio expects it to generate the most letters of anything I have ever written.

Column after that, I will deal with some new headphones and a great new headphone amp, as well as some cool microphones.

Column after that, I hope to deal with a Dynaco ST-70 tribute amp and try it with three different speakers.

I am capable of writing standalone equipment reviews--I did that for TAS in addition to a column--but, apart from the very very rare discovery that leaves me gobsmacked (such as the original Wilson Benesch ACT One), I find checking all the boxes on the mental list a trifle tedious. And when the unit is just not one's cup of tea, that isn't fun.

So, yes, I am impressed when JA or MF takes on another expensive digital solution and has to compare it to the last three.

Cheerio,

JM

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • If I had to confine myself to writing equipment reviews, I doubt I'd do much of that - John Marks 07:46:03 02/28/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.