Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

I disagree somewhat, having scanned the article in question

I thought the reviews were more factual than most we have to put up with these days in the glossy mags and e-mags, where breathless copy is the order of the day.

They didn't seem to comment much on the 'sound' of the products, as you said. But I also challenge anyone to be able to detect big differences in the sound of any one component in a system, in blind tests. Sighted subjective reviewers merely review a single component in their own systems, which can make the sound 'changes' and 'improvements' they often describe irrelevant to someone else with another system. The worst offenders are the ones (and almost every reviewer does this) who attribute qualities of the overall sound they are hearing to the one component in question. These unwarranted conclusions are then used to 'sell' the component.

It was also disappointing that they did not review tube preamps.

In all, I found the technical detail of the reviews refreshing, but despite the welcome departure from subjective reviewing, overly opinionated. It's obvious that they would have been able to sell little if any advertising, with that format. All the better IMO.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.