Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

Re: Reviewers -- Why do you do it?

What an interesting question.

For myself I feel very lucky to have David Robinson's support in writing about the "experience" of this magical, if often frustrating, connection between technology and art. We have a deal. He doesn't make me write conventional reviews, and I don't shoot myself in the head out of boredom.

For myself, the two primary drivers are love of music and love of the written word. I really do experience joy from both. Secondarily, I have met some of the most interesting people you might imagine, and it has brought into my life people who will be my friends until I die. That is a great deal, in and of itself.

I really don't get all the ego and nasty stuff associated with it, any more than I ever got why retailers assumed arrogance and self-importance by the cost of the boxes they unpacked.

The folks who really should display egos are the Jennifer Crocks, the Scott Franklins, the John Curls, Victor Khomenko, Brian Cheney's ...Steve Hoffman, and the rest of the folks who actually design and build, who perform and record... but most often they don't have the luxury of being antisocial maladroits; they have to make a living.

Whatever frustration I may experience with packing and unpacking boxes, simian shipping companies and surprisingly nasty "colleagues," I actually find the readers to be a lot of fun.

I love the work, and I sincerely hope that love shows in what I write.

The Good Doctor

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Reviewers -- Why do you do it? - Dr. S 21:14:42 02/27/07 (1)

You can not post to an archived thread.