Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

I can't help but think...

...the naysayers here are projecting their own weaknesses onto the reviewers.

>Accepting any gift, no matter how small, jeopardizes that impartiality and thus has the ability to taint the review process.>

No it doesn't.

I can only speak for myself, but a dinner or trinket from a manufacturer never affected my ability to be impartial and write about exactly what I heard.

>There was an interesting article recently about doctors and drug companies. The basic premise of the piece was that even small gifts over time can sway a doctor's opinion.>

As a healthcare professional, I am very aware of this and have read the article you mention. I have a service I sell to doctors, too.

There are big differences here, IMO.

Manufacturers do not usually have the 'over time' because it is a one time dinner and review.

The reviewers' first goal is to protect his credibility and reputation, and secondly that of the magazine, his employer.

If a doctor doesn't perceive therapeutic differences between two brands of drugs, why not prescribe the one with the friendliest or prettiest sales rep, or the one who buys him dinner?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.