Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

Why I did it...

...I can only speak for myself.

As an audiophile who liked to write, it was my dream to write audio equipment reviews, after being into high end audio for nearly 10 years and writing a monthly six page audio society newsletter for a year and a half.

When I was invited to write for TAS, I was stoked.

There is nothing like seeing your work appear in print. (I suspect that has something to do with some of the posts and posters here.)

Being able to listen to the latest and greatest equipment is a thrill. Instead of going over to a friend's house who has borrowed some new equipment for the weekend, the stuff is delivered to me to play with for a couple of months.

And of course, being able to feed my equipment addiction at dealer cost was also a big factor.

Going to CES, listening to new equipment and being treated like an important person was also nice.

Finally after 15 years, I got tired of focusing on equipment, had my system sounding good enough that I no longer felt the need to upgrade and decided there were more important things I could do with the time. Like listen to music and spend some of it with my family now that my daughters were becoming teenagers.

So it just took me a lot longer to get to the place you are now when your system is sounding good.

Reviewing equipment is hard work. No matter how much glamour you think there is, switching equipment in and out, focusing on the subtle, critical differences and then finding the right words to describe them is time consuming and at times, very difficult. Try it yourself.

As to the manufacturer and AA criticism, the manufacturer stuff comes with the territory - "I don't want him reviewing my new speakers because he gave my last ones a bad review four years ago..." is not uncommon. As to AA criticism, few reviewers spend any time here because they're too busy listening to equipment and writing reviews.

There will always be the naysayers, not matter what you do.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.