Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

Re: Who said reviewers are journalists, subject to those

> You query is akin to asking what duty do you have not to murder
> someone for money if you can get away with it, and the law is not
> looking over your shoulder to politely remind you that you have a duty
> to your fellow man.

I do not wholly agree with your analogy but rather than rework it I will try to illustrate by example the point that what is ethical is not absolute but depends on context and the readers expectations.

When you read an advert in a newspaper do you expect the text to be straightforward and honest or do you expect it to push the boundaries of whatever is allowable to promote whatever is being advertised? I hope you will agree that most people expect the latter and do not consider the writer of the advert to be unethical in doing what he is employed to do.

Of course, when reading Consumer Reports, government publications, etc... the relationship between the reader and writer is different and there is certainly a question of ethics since the reader expects to be informed rather than mislead.

An audiophile example. The commercial online audiophile publications employ people to create "reviews" in order to attract people to the adverts which provides their income. Many of these "reviews" are for wacko audiophile products and contain absurd claims about the performance of the products. Do you consider the authors of these "reviews" of wacko products to have the same moral obligation to report in a fair manner as a news reporter? Or is it simply free entertainment?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.