Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

I actually cleared the decks

Hi-

I sold, gave away, or threw out just about everything of mine as part of a decks-clearing exercise. All of it I legally and rightfully owned. The stuff I owned had so long ago been eclipsed by review loaners, there was not much point in hanging on to stuff that had not been out of boxes in years.

The longest loan I ever had was for a continuing series in TAS called "A Stereo for Mr. Stevens," which went about two years, and I had Shahinian Obelisks for about 18 months.

I had the Sound Devices 722 hard disk recorder for about 6 months, and felt bad at having had it so long and not being able to buy it.

All the loaner stuff I have here now is less than 60 days old.

And I needed some XLR to XLR cables, so I went to Guitar Center and paid retail.

However, my friend Bob Saglio has a years-old pair of ASA Babys that I borrowed from him after the ESP Concert Grands went back, and I do consider those if not a "reference" in the way many people think of the term, certainly a benchmark for value for money.

And, if the occasion arose when I wanted to hear the Magnum Dynalab receiver again, I am confident they would oblige me.

In the past week, I attended a rehearsal of the St. Cecilia Choir at Thomas More College, and recorded a 1912/1955/2006 Austin organ using a microphone that was new to me. I think that that adds more value to my writing than having two dozen pairs of cables lying around.

After I get back on track financially, I will buy some stuff, and let people know what it is. But honestly, at this point in my life, were I to win the lottery tomorrow, I'd more likely buy a domestic, house, or chamber organ (4-7 ranks) or a harpsichord, and use the leisure to take lessons and practice, than go crazy with a monster stereo. To paraphrase Clark Johnsen, the more you spend, the more there is to go wrong.

Later,

John

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.