Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

Re: Be careful what you wish for...

"Art Dudley has admitted that he accepted an inexpensive gift from Musical Fidelity. Do you think his reviews are skewed because of this? I don't, but if you do, it's easy enough to stop reading his reviews."

A gift is a gift. Inexpensive or not. I would prefer it if reviewers did not accept gifts from manufacturers that they reviewed. Is that too much to ask? What reviewers are paid to review a component is not my concern (BTW most reviewers be they in magazines or newspapers are paid a pittance), the ethics behind the way they review a component is, as it impacts the way in which I am informed or misinformed.

"And again, what is the alternative? Would you have us provide the reviewer with *far worse* service than the normal customer gets by just shipping a box out with no explanations?"

Shouldn't it be part of the reviewing process to describe how easy or hard a component is to set up? Shouldn't part of the review deal with how well written the component's manual is? After all it's no good if the manual is indecipherable or the component is unreasonably complex. This could potentially be papered over if it's nicely set up for the reviewer so all he/she has to do is press 'play'. Personally, I wouldn't want the reviewer babied through this process.
This is what he/she is paid to do. Review the component in it's entirety.

Charles, at the end of the day you are a manufacturer with your own vested interests.I'm just the poor sod that has to try a make sense of all those reviews out there and makes sure that the reviewer is being as up front as possible.

Regards,

J.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.