Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

Re: Art Dudley, Listening, Stereophile, March 2007

Actually I find it refreshing that somebody is fessing up to a big problem not only in high end audio writing but any journalists who review super-expensive equipment they cannot afford themselves. It's in the best interests of the company to make the writer feel positive about their equipment prior to the review, and so-called long-term( read interminable) is certainly a great way to get a super money-making product-selling review. Plus, the equipment keeps getting mentioned in further articles as part of the review system or as the product on which to base all further reviews of similar stuff.
On the other hand I've seen several reviews in the past where well-functioning equipment has been vilified by some reviewer, sounding as if there's some sort of grudge between the reviewer and manufacturer.
While I only met Art once several years ago and I'm sure he doesn't remember it, I found his reviews to be honest and straight-forward.On the other hand the stories and inuendo heard about others mentioned in passing in his article are legion. Readers should hope all reviewers are as honest as Art.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.