Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

Re: Unlike other components...

>...manufacturers usually do not reuse cables or want them back.
Used amps, preamps, speakers and the like are returned and become demos for the manufacturer to use at shows or for dealers to use in their stores.

So what?

>Cable manufacturers are usually very generous about sending their products (except for the stratospherically priced models) to reviewers.

So what?

>There have been instances I can recall where a cable manufacturer offered to provide his cables to any of the magazine's reviewers to cable their complete systems - as a method of promoting new cables.

Clearly, but then a respectable publication will avoid being such a direct participant in the implementation of the manufacturers's marketing goals!

>In other instances, a speaker manufacturer may request a cable maker send his cables to the reviewer for use with his speakers.

So what?

>At TAS, we would sometimes exchange cables with other reviewers just to hear what else was out there.

Great practice, something that can be done just as easily with owned cables as with loaners; well, the later does involve the risk of the cable being disposed of in a manner that may cause more than just financial loss problems for the loaner!

---

Again, I see no fundamental reason for special treatment of cables.

Your post merely reinforces in my mind the need for serious reflection upon current practices re: cables, who knows perhaps the sorry tale related below could well have been avoided were the product category treated just like the others?

No Guru, No Method, No Teacher

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.