Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

Re: I keep saying the same thing over and over again, but nobody seems to care.

<< it sounded as though the organization was negligent to follow up when the story broke. Your information now suggests that the publisher has made repairs from his end. >>

I suppose there is some room for interpretation here, but in my opinion not much.

Let's suppose for a moment that we swallow the reviewer's far-fetched story about "saying that it wasn't him who sold the cables but a friend to whom he had loaned them". As a manufacturer, I for one, would not be happy if the gear I loaned for review was loaned to a reviewer's "friend". Especially without my permission. And especially if that "friend" sold the gear. But as I said, that story seems far-fetched to me. I can't imagine that I would loan a "friend" some hi-fi equipment and he would sell it on Audiogon without my knowledge. But maybe I just have higher standards for friendship than do some.

As far as I have been able to determine, there has been no action taken against the reviewer. I don't work at the magazine, so I'm not privy to all of the internal goings-on. But he certainly has not been fired which is what JA correctly did in a somewhat similar situation over a decade ago.

As far as "repairs", I am told that the publisher (not the reviewer) has repaid the manufacturer for the cables. So in some sense, the situation has been "repaired". However, in my opinion there has been a large violation of trust between the magazine and the manufacturer, as well as the magazine and the readers, that has not been repaired. YMMV.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.