Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

British audio journals really criticize components and still get enough ads to stay in business

Of course they typically cost a lot per issue on the magazine stand at Borders so maybe you do have to pay a lot more to get real criticism. If a speaker was rated 1 star out of 5 stars in a British journal, then the reader is getting information that Stereophile will never provide.

Of couse you can get Stereophile for 75 cents an issue by subscription, and you don't have to take the reviews as anything but light entertainment (fiction).

I think that you are somewhat right -- If Stereophile rated most of the products reviewed as "average', and only a small percentage as "above average' or "below average", then I believe advertisers would change.

I think there would be more ads from retail dealers, and fewer from audio manufacturers ...... especially after one or more of their product(s) were rated below average.

It would be a waste of money to advertise a product in a magazine after it got a below-average review, and maybe even a waste of money to advertise the brand.

Richard BassNut Greene
Subjective Audiophile 2007

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • British audio journals really criticize components and still get enough ads to stay in business - Richard BassNut Greene 08:52:42 02/19/07 (1)

You can not post to an archived thread.