Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

Re: Sterophile Reviewing Policy

John,

Don't be so sensitive. My comment was not meant as a criticism at all. Just a query. And I'm more than satisfied with your response.

Perhaps the reason Sphile draws so much attention is that others, like myself, consider it the leading publication in our hobby. Sure I subscribe to other print mags, Hifi+, the new HiFiCritic, Audioxpress (a great read btw) and many of the online zines. I don't subscribe to A!S 'cause I find too much overlap with Sphile and simply picked one. Sponsorship of the Annual HiFi show probably influenced this decision. Fact is for me reading Sphile helps me keep up with my hobby. As does participation on this board.

One other comment: I sure other readers like me don't read the reviews in Sphile only for purchasing considerations. I like to read about gear I would never buy to hear about other approaches to high fidelity reproduction. So if something is of particular interest but not widely commercially available, if available at all, it still makes interesting reading. Some of the classic gear reviews fall into this category. I like these a lot. I also like to hear about cutting edge development even if products are not quite ready for market. IAR use to do a lot of this and I found it quite interesting as well as educational. I don't think you have to be in the product development business but the fact is you have access to ideas and developments that those of us outside the industry generally don't.

Anyhow, I like my hobby. Hope we can always keep it friendly - as it should be. I'd like to encourage everyone to have respect for the other guys' opinion even if you don't agree. And to extend a helping hand to others when asked w/o being condescending or arrogant.

My .02$!
sanesmith

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Sterophile Reviewing Policy - sanesmith 10:45:28 02/17/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.