Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

Why ST and MF make an odd couple - my take

Let me qualify first that I think Stereophile is the best magazine in the industry, and that I find Sam Tellig's column hugely informative and entertaining.

But thinking about the MF threads that keep cropping up, yes, I do agree that he has plugged that brand a mite too often, enough to enrage a large number of readers, and also plenty of us lunatics out here. There's a serious reason, I think, for all this. Perhaps, because , some covenant of trust seems to have been broken. You see, Sam has not been merely a reviewer all these years. He's been the TOUR GUIDE supreme, for those of us making the trip to audiophile country. He's taken us round the world, into exotic places, Italian and French factories(ahem!), met us up with quirky designers and manufacturers, sampled the regional food and wine, passed on local gossip, created an aura of mystery and like any good tour operator, showed us the lesser known spots, the still-unknown amplifier or speaker, well before the rest of the audio world caught on. An ST column would always be looked forward to every month, for some new eclectic experience, leavened with that characteristic warmth and humour.

With Musical Fidelity -good products, I own one- over the past few years, it's like the sightseeing coach is being shown the Empire State building in the morning, and returning there in the afternoon and again in the evening. Which is why the tourists are annoyed.

It's fine for a regular rewiewer to write repeatedly about the same brands (Martin Colloms on Krell/Wilson is a good example).

But not for a tour guide.

Eddie

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.